[RC] [Consider This] Endurance riding techniques help Sir RanulphFiennes climb Ev... - Merri

Horseandhound.co.uk - Full Article

Liz Peplow

Endurance riding techniques were behind Sir Ranulph Fiennes' successful Everest attempt last month, his wife Louise has told H&H.

When the 65-year-old adventurer conquered Mount Everest on his third attempt on 21 May, he attributed his success to his wife.

"He told me he owed his achievement to me, which was really something for him to admit," said the endurance rider, who, as Louise Millington, was a member of Endurance GB's Cheshire Group, before she married Sir Ranulph and moved to Exmoor in 2005.

"I have been indoctrinating him with endurance principals — fundamentals like hydration, avoiding build-up of lactic acid and using electrolytes."

Louise said how, as part of his training, she accompanied him to a marathon in Singapore.

"I got him to drink properly and to eat lots of pasta and slow-release energy bars," she explained. "He finished an hour and a half quicker than before. He was tired, but not ill.

More...

--
Posted By Merri to Consider This at 6/24/2009 10:27:00 AM