Re: [RC] sway bars or air lifts or another leaf spring??? - Don Huston

Hello Nancy,

I would not do the extra leaf springs. They are not adjustable and might be too stiff without the trailer but not stiff enough with the trailer.

I beefed up the sway bars on a truck with an overhead camper to reduce sway and IMO it made the sway worse when driving on uneven roads and dirt campsites. On the freeway it was great but turning thru intersections with dips the rig would sway much worse throwing stuff around inside the camper. All sway bars reduce the ability of the normal suspension to allow the wheels to move independently. I would not do beefier sway bars.

I would do the oversized shocks again. The old ones are probably fatigued anyway. Do not get airshocks because the shock mounts are not made to carry constant weight and those type shocks are usually inferior in actual "shock" ability.

If you need to level the rig because of the trailer hitch weight I would get a "load leveler" or "weight distribution" type hitch. http://www.councilhitch.com/loadLv_swayCtrl.html The sway control option is also very nice especially going downhill on windy mountain roads. Uphill is usually never a problem.

If you do not already have one an electric tongue jack http://www.adventurerv.net/electric-power-tongue-3002-ultra-fab-jack-3000-p-91.html will make it very easy to hook up and properly adjust the "load leveler".

The last option is air bags but I have not used them.

Don Huston