[RC] State Parks;What I have found out - Alexa Olney

I have been on my computer all morning and these are the things I have found.
There is one organization taking the lead in this the California State Parks
Foundation.  Their website has alot of information on it including lists of the
parks that will be closed and any other up to date info.  The website is
calparks.org.  They have a petition you can sign and also a letter you can send.

 The closures are to start after labor day.  The number of parks is somewhere
from 220 to as many as 279.  This is 80% of the state parks.  Closing these
parks will only cover 1 tenth of 1% of the budget deficet.  Not only are our
riding destinations at risk but also history, endangered wild life and plants.
The other thing is that there are many communtities that survive soully on
tourism money brought by park activity.  70 million is the first proposed cut
and eventually within the near future the entire 143 million will be taken from
the general fund so all our parks will suffer. Just another fact for every $1
taken from the general fund by parks $2.35 is put back.

There will be no way to keep the areas from being vandalized.  The largest park
in California, Anza Borego, is set to closed and there is no way to fence the
entire area.  There will be no patrols so fire danger and illegal activity in
all park areas will be increased.  These closures will also effect real estate
prices.  There are many houses along the borders of these parks that get their
value due to their location.

There was a Budget Conference Hearing held at the end if May going into the
beginning of June.  June 2nd was the day that the state park closures were
addressed.  100 citizens from different areas were heard.  They spoke about how
this would not help but harm the environment and the economy.  The LAO (not
sure what this stands for) put out a proposal
"keep all the parks open but create $12.5 million of the Gerenal Fund savings
in the budget year by increasing State Park fees to adjust for inflation".  No
decisions have been reached but it's a step in the right direction in my
opinion atleast someone put something out there.  I don't mind increased fees
as long as the parks stay open and can be protected.

Now from a podcast that I listened to from May 30th only 7500 letters have been
sent through the the California State Parks Foundation to the politicians.
There was also some talks about if this goes through in this state other states
are likly to follow suite I heard that PA has already been hit.  So this has
now become a national issue.  I think we need to stop flapping our gums about
this isn't fair and do something.  I am now going to return to my research and
find out if any environmental impact reports have been done.  I know of other
projects that have been halted by these reports and I don't see why the
goverment can't be stopped by them also.  I will let you know what I find.

Alexa Campbell