Re: [RC] Nylon Stirrups - Truman Prevatt

Nothing is risk free.  Nylon flexes and each flex will weaken it. At some point it can break. The best thing to do is to periodically replace nylon stirrups.  Aluminum is also not risk free they can result in a nasty cut. I had my horse spook to the point that my foot came out of the stirrup, which swung out and came back and the edge caught my ankle which resulted in a gash. Aluminum also is not a flexible metal and also will fatigue and break when flexed many times. Aluminum wire will break much faster when repeatedly flexed long before steel. There is no such thing as a perfect stirrup material that will last forever.

Truman

Bob Fletcher wrote:
FYI:  I was riding over the long weekend and I had a mishap with my nylon stirrups that I wanted to give everyone a heads-up.  My nylon trail stirrups snapped in mid-post and I came off my horse.  Lucky me, I was riding with my friends and I was able to get back in the saddle and ride stirrup free the rest of the ride.  My stirrups were just about brand new, having only a few rides prior to this incident.  When I was making my decision on buying the trail stirrups, I thought that the nylon would be better because it is lighter.  I checked out my friends aluminum trail stirrups and the difference in weight is negligible.
>From this ride forward, only the aluminum stirrups for me.
bcf

--
“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan