[RC] Latest Update on Meg from Linda Tanian - Jay Randle

Hi Everybody

I went down to Melbourne last night after work to visit Meg now that she has
been transferred to the Rehab clinic. It was like travelling through a maze
to find her but eventually got to her room. Currently only family is being
allowed to visit and the clinic staff are screening people as they come in
so I had to quickly drag out my fake family connection again!

Upon my arrival Meg was sleeping so Gatesy and I quietly chatted and caught
up on her progress. The rehab team had been in and done an assessment
yesterday along with the speech therapist. As the family had to leave the
room while these things were happening they don’t really know the outcomes
just yet. I guess today things will start to unfold a bit in terms of the
rehab plan.

Meg woke up while we were talking and I could immediately see an improvement
in her condition over the last time I’d visited her. Now you can definitely
see that someone is home although communication is still very difficult for
Meg. She will get some words out but not every time you ask a question.
There is considerable frustration being expressed by Meg and I can’t even
begin to imagine how difficult it must be for her now that she is more
cognitive of her condition and surroundings.

Meg has lost weight, mostly muscle condition but is now starting to eat
although not feeding herself at this stage. I was surprised at the amount
of food she was tucking away so her appetite has not been affected by the
accident! Gatesy had bought some photos down with him and we went through
one of the albums with photos of Meg, the helicopter, the kangaroos and some
of the horses. She was quite reactive to some of these and even reached out
for a couple of the photos.

Meg has good mobilisation of her left arm and right leg while the right
arm/left leg combination is less responsive but that is something that the
rehab will start to work on. The start of the rehab will be another small
step on what will be a long trip back. I caught up with Meg’s mum who is so
positive and is finding improvement in Meg all the time. Gil, Meg’s sister
(and I’m sure those who attended the Burrowye ride in December will remember
Gil’s great catering skills) was also there. Gil is only 2 ½ hrs drive away
from the hospital so will find it easier to visit.

Cheers

Linda

Click Here View photos of singles in your area