[RC] Aegis Aspen helmet review - Sharon Levasseur

I fell off and hit my head last week, so I had to replace my old-style Tipperary helmet. Good thing I had already done my research and found that the Tipp Plus wasn't going to fit the same, but the Aegis Aspen probably would... I already knew what I wanted to replace it with.

State Line was the only place that had them in stock, so even though it cost a bit more I ordered from them. Got it last night and am sending this review in the hope that it will help someone else.

It is the first time I have ever taken a helmet out of the box and said "Oh wow, that is freaking ADORABLE!" It really IS as low-profile as the sales picture makes it look. (I took pictures of myself with it on, but forgot the data cord so I can't upload them.) It's very lightweight too.

The lining inside is UBER comfy. I swear, my head practically sighed in pleasure when I put this helmet on. I didn't want to take it off!

The dial on the back seems like it would make it fit both round and oval heads... which explains why I got replies from both round- and oval-headed people who all said it fit them well. I really love how easy it's going to be to wear an earband in the winter without having to switch the foam padding out for a thinner piece.

Unlike the old Tipp, the visor is removable, and it seems as if maybe it will be long enough to do the trick without taking it off and using the Salamander visor. The visors on the old Tipp were so short they were useless.

The old Tipperary was AWFUL for wearing with sunglasses because of the way it came down around the back of the ears. Everyone I talked to had the same complaint. The Aspen seems like it will be a lot better, I put on my sunglasses with it and there was no interference at all, even though they're the kind that go almost straight back over the ears without much of a curve.

Finally, the vents don't have mesh in them, they have thin aluminum with holes in it... which seems like it will carry less risk of getting skewered by a low-hanging branch.

Again... I hope this helps someone.

-Sharon L. in Maine