[RC] SO not getting the drug rule hostlity... - Mary Krauss

Whew--feels safe to engage again. You all are a smart but sometimes scary bunch!

Thank you Elizabeth for bringing back the original query about yucca in a commercial feed. Now I'm even more confused by the argument against the tenor of the drug rules though.

For starters, effective legaleze attempts to start generally. Good cases help tighten the rules over time. Law (rules) are organic by nature and develop in response to real events.

Sounds as though Terry is bringing up a practical and particular issue that may need to be addressed. Excellent! She can send her suggestion to a committee member and let that group decide yea or nay... And as Kat says, Gamma oryzanol may need specific qauntities defined--or perhaps it should be deleted from the list if what she says is true. The committe may find that science backs up her claim, or they may decide, or already know, that it is an abusable substance in obviously enormous doses (i.e. more than we need to fret about if we're not doing something fishy.)

I'm confused about the partucular query regarding yucca however. Why would someone purchase commercially prepared feed that had yucca in it? If the yucca is there in therapeutic amounts one's horse could compete while artificially enabled to handle aches or pains that might otherwise result (rightly) in a pull. This is drugging. If the yucca is not present in therapeutic amounts, why is it there at all? I don't understand why anyone would advocate daily dosing of aspirin (yucca), and I don't understand why AERC would be asked to overlook doping simply because the dope is in a commercially packaged form?

Mary K