[RC] Char Antuzzi injured at Am River 50 *Update* - Antuzzi, Char ((Care Pack Attach))

I wanted to thank everyone that was so kind to me at the ride where I
got hurt. Endurance riders are the best people out there! The cards
that I received have really brightened my days. Some may know what
happened, others may not, so here is what happened, condensed form. I
had been leading a small group of riders along a single track trail
right before the big climb, Cardiac, about 6 miles to lunch stop at 30
miles. The trail became a dirt road and I pulled over to let them all
go around. We were all stopped taking a short break before the climb,
grazing, etc. I was on the far right side of the road at a stand
still, one horse was in front of me and a jr behind me (he was with
the man in front of me) the rest of the group was behind the jr.
We decided it was time to go, I was going to let everyone around me,
so we stood. As the Jr behind me passed his mount spun to kick out at
my mount and in the process dumped the Jr. Thank goodness he was okay.
his mount kicked at mine and ended up getting me dead square in the
left knee. I received the full leg length of a powerful kick, WHACK. I
could feel things were not right. There was clearly a dislike to my
mount from this other one and I wanted out of there. Jr was being
taken care of and I felt I'd be safer from the group, so I headed out.
No cell phone coverage. The group got ahead of me but didn't realize
it. My mount took a turn off trail as I had ridden him the week prior
and he thought that was the way to go. I just wasn't thinking to clear
at this point. I kept trying my cell, no coverage, so I rode out and
up the climb. Raptor my mount just knew I was hurt. Where there were big
boulders that he normally would have jumped up and over he took one step
at a time, when I had to stop because of the pain or having to resift
My weight around, he stood like a rock. As riders passed me on the trail
He just let them go. His big ears (He's a mule) were always flipping
Back as if he were asking me what was wrong. I had to drop the reins
And hold his mane with both hands and he never ever sped up or did anything
What so ever to add to my discomfort. Normally your trying to strip the saddle
Quickly as he wants to roll, he stood rock still while we all tried to
Figure out how to get off him. It was amazing Long story short, I rode him to
the
lunch stop and was met just prior to getting there by wonderful volunteers
whom followed me in. Getting off my mount was a challenge but strong men got me
down
and over to a chair. After a small debate with the ambulance driver
who were going to cut my Anstat tights and Ariats, blankets were held
up, I got into shorts, then whisked away. My knee is shattered in 8
places and we don't know about the cartilage at this time. My season
is over for sure, I just pray not for good. It will be a long road to
recover and I spent some time in the hospital.

Again thank you everyone that helped me that day and for those that
sent me a card.

Wishing you all a great season

Char Antuzzi