Re: [RC] Folsom lake accident - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

This is preciously WHY I have been doing dirt bike desensitizing training with my horses.  I have two neighbor boys that come up and ride circles around them with rider up!   It takes a lot of control and patience and the ability to give to the horses desire to free itself.  Then pull it back and start over.  However, the result is a horse that has some kind of idea what is going on and not as likely to 'run off' out of fear.  I have been on the trails in Folsom, Sly Park, and parts of Cronin that have illegal dirt bikers.  There has only been one time, in Sly Park, that the rider got really nasty.  His Father came down the hill and abruptly corrected his son's behavior and told him to "MOVE NOW" and let those horses through!   I don't know what would have happened if the Dad had not gotten there when he did.  My riding partner was poised to rear her horse up and down onto the biker!  That is how SHE has trained her horses to deal with this issue.

I prefer not to get shot!   However, it has become quite apparent it is absolute necessary to take defensive action in the training of your horses.  I can now see why so many riders, including women, are carrying guns with them.  It shouldn't have to come to this!

D'Arcy

--
D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
cest.mon.virage@xxxxxxxxx