[RC] The 5-day work week (was work/conditioning schedules) - k s swigart

Michelle said:

Any different situation people have outside the "standard"
?5-day work week, I'd be curious to hear, or any way that
?people find a solution around the "standard" 5-day work week.?

When I had the "standard" 5-day work week, I solved the work/conditioning
problem very simply:

Ride at night.

Many endurance rides require night riding anyway, so you might as well get in
the practice.

I started my night time trail riding on nights approaching a full moon (which
would be tonight, mind you).? A waxing to full moon is better as the moon is up
before the sun sets.? Tonight would be a perfect night to go for a night ride.
I could leave before sun set to go up on the ridge, watch the sun set over the
ocean, have the moon cast a shadow as it rises behind me, and then before
dropping off the ridge, watch the fireworks from Disneyland (every night at
9:32 pm).

However, after I got used to the idea, I discovered that you can ride at night
at any phase of the moon in Orange County. There is so much ambient city light
that it never truely gets very dark even when there is no moon (this is not
true of the So Cal deserts and mountains).? I don't like to ride without a moon
on trails that I don't know, but the trails that I regularly condition on are
easy to ride on, even in what passes for "after dark" around here.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

p.s. Before I started trail riding at night, I still rode at night.? I just
used the lighted arena at the place where I boarded my horse.