[RC] Allergies to horses - Victoria Thompson

I have two friends ( a married couple) that are both EXTREMELY allergic to horses and are two of the most ardent horseowners I know.  They both went throughout extensive medical testing to determine exactly what part of horses they were allergic to, and it turned out to be (like cats and dogs) horse dander.  Yep, the hair.  Don't send replies about exactly what the dander is, I'm fully aware, I'm just too drunk right now to get specific (it's Friday, for God's sake, and I'm taking advantage of a non-working weekend).  Anywho, except for when they were actually in the saddle riding, they wore face masks and gloves whenever they were down with their horses.  They did all the work themselves, and even clipped their horses themselves, engulfed in masks, gloves and long sleeved shirts.  They also took shots (weekly at first) to help with their allergies.  I never saw them sneeze or look 'allergic' in all the years they lived by me.  They said it was absolutely worth the hassle to go through to keep their horses and wouldn't trade their lifestyle for a second if it meant going without horses.  Over time the shots didn't have to be given so often, but they still have to have them.  They still have to use masks etc when doing anything with the horses except ride them.  Yvette had to ride with a mask in the beginning, but after a few shots was able to stop.  Damn near any animal allergy can be overcome if the person is willing to put up with a little discomfort in the beginning and a little long term common sense.  That being said, however, I have to agree with whoever said, "It's cheaper to get a new one."

Tori
GO Lakers!