Re: [RC] Ricebran, fruits, and testing... - Truman Prevatt

Title: “I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience
Body building supplements are full of a lot of things. I would not necessary hang anything on any one component. I found an interesting article reporting the results of some studies in animals on gamma oryzanol.This report was prepared by an outfit marketing a supplement on a research report so you can be sure the supplement was put in the best light.

Here is an interesting quote.

"Field trials in the USA using forearm circumference as an indicator of change in muscle
mass, found thoroughbred geldings in full work increased this measure by up to 2cm
when on supplementary gamma oryzanol. The observed anabolic effects of gamma
oryzanol may result from improved appetite and protection against stomach ulcers.
Although it is found in the bran of wheat and other grains, as well as various fruits,
vegetables and herbs, processing and stabilization can affect the activity and degrade
vitamin E levels. Because of these limitations, supplementation is required to reach
therapeutic dosages. VITAVITE ANAZOLIC is the first registered source of
supplementary gamma-oryzanol, providing over 1200mg per dose to reach the levels
necessary for improved appetite and muscling, weight gain and ulcer protection. Because
of the major drawbacks of appetite loss and ulcer treatment in horses - cost and
recurrence of ulcers once treatment stops - long-term prevention with gamma oryzanol, a
far less expensive therapy for continued treatment and protection is advisable."

Looks more to me like any benefits it might have might be in helping the digestive system when it is under stressful conditions.

--

“I maintain there is much more wonder in science than in pseudoscience. And in addition, to whatever measure this term has any meaning, science has the additional virtue, and it is not an inconsiderable one, of being true.” Carl Sagan