Re: [RC] It's really not about the drugs IMO - Kathy Mayeda

Some of the costs of the testing is offset by a mandatory drug testing
fee per entry?  Also, if you read the minutes, it relieves the burden
to organize testing from the AERC office, and I see that as a plus.
Manpower costs money too.

I don't know why everyone is getting all wadded up about drug testing
when we haven't had a positive testing in a long while.  It's just
easy enough to avoid these drugs as a matter of course and not worry
about testing positive.  I just avoid any product that says yucca or
MSM in it.  Salicylates is not as clear to me, as is gamma orzynal,
but just avoid these things as much as you possible can.

The intent of the drug rules are very clear even though the parameters
might not be as clear cut as we would like.  If a Olympian could be
eliminated for using a pepper product then who's to say that us
endurance riders couldn't be eliminated for something like that too.

We are creating problems in our mind where it hasn't proven to be a
problem yet.  This may shift when we start being tested via USEF.
Besides at the AERC level competition, it will be interesting to see
what the level of impact of a positive test will be.  Disqualification
from that particular ride?  Since it is not a professional sport I
doubt that there will be any legal ramifications to protect because
prize money is not a factor.  But I guess wierd things can happen.

A lot of drugs are derived from plant products, and a lot of drug
research is centered on plant chemistry.  Yucca plant itself is not a
homeopathic.  Homeopathics are generated a minute molecular level that
will probably never test.  I do use homeopathics, but it's not
generally used for performance enhancement besides general health
issues.  Homeopathics do not claim to be anti-inflammatory or pain
killers, but rather use the innate human body response to repair and
heal itself, or for metabolic health.

K.