[RC] It's really not about the drugs IMO - oddfarm

I have to side with Truman about some of AERC's drug rules. They have some silly stuff on the list. What I don't understand is how could you punish a rider for having their horse test "positive" for Yucca when there really is no REAL proof that it works? Scientist "claiming" something to be true, doesn't make it so. I don't think that is how science works. I am all for alternative or homeopathic medicine, or whatever else you want to call it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it's just crap.

Scientist's also claimed that red wine in moderation was good for a woman's heart health.  Now they say even in moderation there is a 20-30% chance that a woman could get breast cancer. WHAT? That means really the only reason a woman should drink anything is just so she doesn't kill anybody :)

We know how bute works and it is a proven drug. As are many other drugs on the AERC list. And Bruce is right, science is always changing the way we use drugs as in what is not working so well now, could be improved in a few years.

The real problem isn't so much the drugs, but the enforcement of those who illegally use them in the sport. How in the world can AERC severely or otherwise, punish a rider for testing positive for yucca, when AERC couldn't even afford to follow through on a positive REAL drug test? However, now $50,000 a year is available to do "real" testing. (for Yucca? Really??) So over the next five years, AERC will have spent a quarter of a million dollars on drug testing when previously they couldn't afford to follow through on other positive tests that were challenged because everyone and their brother was suing them. HUH?

I don't get that. $250,000 would have given AERC quite a bit of ammunition to enforce a positive "real" drug test. If they spend it all on testing, where will the money come from to fight the challenges of enforcement?? Back to square one.

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm