[RC] Ford Truck 03 - 6.0 Engine OT for sure - Roger Rittenhouse

As an owner of an 2005 6.0 Ford and a truck techie, I offer some advice.

The 03 was the first year for that engine. It had many issues.

The suggestion to go to the  thedieselstop.com site was the best. I read  it all
the time and of course post there.

If you are not a good tech and  can work on this truck, then it may be best to
find a super Ford tech.. not the dealer. However you are still the 100,000 mile
warranty  but this thing still costs you money all the time.

Many  mods will fix most of the problems, but since you are in CA you may be
scre---.. Most of the fixes will make drastic changes that my not  work under
the
CA  testing.

About the most major problem with the 6.0 is the EGR  exhaust gas recirculation
valve.  Since you may just have to deal with CA rules you have to keep it. It
causes so many problems for this engine..

So replace it say 1 or 2 times a year. Look to ebay to buy new ones. It is EASY
to change take about 20 minutes.
The cleaning  thing is a mess  but you can do that.

The EGR cooler WILL eventually go bad and have to be replaced. The 03's were the
worst ones for this problem. You are stuck with it and will have to replace  it
when it breaks. However when this happens you 'may '  pop your head gaskets and
head bolts.

If under warranty  you get lucky if not then $3000 or more. Read about all that
and ARP bolt replacements on the site. DO NOT use the stock Ford head bolts if
you need a head rework job.

Next you may have program flash issues - depending on if you had all that
updated. Some say no  but the 03 program was real bad. I run the latest in my
05. The dealer should have done this.

Next the fuel injectors  03  real bad.  I would opt to have them all replaced
with the newest version.  $ 1500 plus.

Run a good synthetic oil - I prefer AMSOIL - have used it in all my  trucks for
many years. It helps the injectors work better. I use 15w-40 and not the 5w. A
slightly lower cost oil is Rotella SYN.  Can get that at Walmart

Oil filter ONLY run the motorcraft or FRAM  --NO WIX  or other will fit.. most
are not made to the Ford spec. RACOR makes the Ford spec, buy from walmart - I
buy on line in bulk  and change half way in  in the  oil change cycle.
IF you run dino oil you should change oil in 3000 miles -towing hard shears this
oil fast. I  run syn oil for 5000. with a filter changed at 2500.  $20 filter
for
a $6000 engine ??

At 80K I would flush the cooling system.. It is an involved process..or pay the
dealer. See the web site.

Fuel filter   USE FORD ONLY NO AFTER MARKET PERIOD. Change more often then the
book says. Not difficult to do  but you should read the 'how to' on the web
site.

Add a fuel supplement. It adds lubrication to the fuel to protect the injectors.
I use OPTI-Lube. LOTS out there but most give almost NO protection. Studies were
done by 3rd party .. study at the site.

Air Filter STOCK ONLY no MODS or after market.

The turbo and the turbo controller on 03 had problems. Turbo locks up. If not
replaced with an up dated version may think about that.

There are a number of TSB on the 03 that should be done on your 03 - push the
dealer for work here. There were issues with cut cables and shorts.
You can get and OASIS report from a GOOD Ford tech.. a good dealer if you have
one. Most dont want to bother. BUT since they have less sales now I find the
dealers wanting to do more  warranty or paid for  maintenance work now.

If you can do it in your CA inspection, I would install a 4 inch CAT back
exhaust
with or with  the muffler. At least install an open muffler if no muffle is not
legal.

03 Tranny .. I drive a stick NOT AUTO.. At least make sure you have had the
trans
fluid changed. Should be done at 30k when towing. Add one BIG  tranny  cooler.
When I had an auto I used AMSOIL Tranny fluid never had a problem for 60k Keep
the tranny from getting hot.. COOLER is the only way. Also change that tranny
filter ?? yearly?? I would. but then I would not have a Ford auto...

I added an external water filter.. it will help keep the EGR cooler and engine
oil filter from going bad. Low cost easy to install.

When you go to the Ford  site - you will be reading weeks. Only site I go to for
help and education.

Paying to fix this engine and do upgrades will be less then a new truck..

The reason the 6.0 was dropped  to go with the 6.4 was the government  . It was
good engine that was getting better by 07 when it was dropped. If I wanted a
Ford
F350 - I would look for a good late 06 or early 07 with 6.0 engine, with the
6spd
manual 4x4...

Now the 6.4 is on the way out.. one BIG battery :)

Of course my 05 being in TN is quite tricked out and so far nothing major
wrong. :)

I post  under the uid psdendurance.

Good luck

Roger R