[RC] Torres Story - Part 3 - Steph Teeter

Back out we go on the second (and final) loop. I love this horse!! He just wants to go and go. Whichever direction I point him, whatever the trail, he's a really fun ride. Very foot-sure, not a single stumble or slip or slide. He picks the best way through the muddy stretches and puddles and creeks. He travels with his head much lower than I'm used to. These horses are born and raised in this rough country, and they have free range grazing. This is not easy country, in fact it's very rough country, and they must learn at an early age how to cover the ground and keep up with the herd. I think the fact that Mateco travels with his head low (at least much much lower than my Arabian 'gotta go' horse) has to do with constantly judging the trail - the terrain, knowing where to put his feet with every step. One of the ranchers in the Owyhee country (which can be pretty rough too) commented once that his horses that range free will travel with their head low - they learn to dodge the rocks and holes. Same thing I suppose. At any rate I'm totally enjoying the ride and totally trust the horse.

This trail takes us in a different direction - off to the west, the country is much more open - just a few forest areas. A lot of talus and gravel, across a wide river delta with fine gray sand and gravel and threaded streams of water spreading out for a few kilometers. Stunning! So big, so open. Both horses are still strong and forward, tho I'm starting to feel some straps and buckles rubbing from the saddle - not bad, but if it were more than 40k it could possibly get bad... We make a loop around a lake, reflections, perfect footing, Mateco wants to gallop some more so we do. We're riding with several others at this point, some on the 60k, some the 85k, the horses are picking up the 'headed' back energy, and we keep rolling right into the finish. A little whoop and yeehaw just for fun as we finish (probably in 20th place or something like that) but it was a good fun finish :)

My wonderful black horse pulses right down and goes to the vet with a 48 pulse.... go Mateco!

Lili finishes fine too, we're both pretty happy - it was a fun and easy ride, and the most beautiful trail I've ever done. The Bighorn had some spectacular sections, the Blackfoot Valley ride that Sandy Bolinger used to manage had some fantastic country, and the Owyhee ride over Toy Mountain and Hart Creek can be pretty amazing too... but this country is just soooooo big, and extreme - with the glacial mountain tops, the unlikely granite Torres shooting up to the sky. It's very special, and I am very thankful for the chance to experience it on a good horse. wow.

I was still basking in the afterglow when I heard that the 85k riders were heading in to the finish, and several of them were still together ready for a race. I had time to go in and get the good camera, and get in place to get the racing finishers. Just right! And a very very excited Susie Haveruk (from southern California) poured it on at the very end to edge over the finish line. Number 1!! Susie was beaming and glowing for hours after, couldn't believe it. She said she had just gone to one of the USEF clinics at Inyokern, and learned so much, and said it helped her tremendously with this win. The strategy, the focus, the breathing to control her excitement and tension. It was pretty cool!

I took a few more photos, then decided it was time for a glass of wine and some food, and headed over to the fire pit where the lamb (cordero) was roasting and basked some more, and talked with folks, and totally enjoyed the last of the daylight hours. Lili and I shared a good bottle of wine, provided by one of the sponsors - Montes Vinyard - and shared thanks for a great ride, spectacular country and good horses!

more later - on Luis and his brilliant event-

Steph

(but it might be quite a bit later, I'm in the Santiago airport, just about to board the plane for Los Angeles. It will be good to be back, but I will miss this place more than I could have imagined)