[RC] The Gelding Project - MN - sherman

Title: Message
It may not do much to help the unwanted horse population, but it will help with the unwanted stallion population (:>) I've seen many ads for older stallions that people can no longer afford or just don't want. There are not too many takers for an old stallion,  rideable and easy to handle or not, but an older gelding with the same qualities is so much easier to find a home for. And so many of these older unwanted stallions never should have been stallions to begin with, or they would be easier to place. So while I do agree it's not going to do much, it will help some and at this point, I think every bit of help is needed.

Too bad mare sterilization is so costly. I read about a new surgery for them, costing about $1200-1500, and much easier and quicker recovery than before, but still, that is pretty expensive for many owners to run out and spend unless they are already spending big bucks on hormones to make the mare rideable.

Kathy