Re: [RC] rate him - Diane Trefethen

Look -

It's one thing to say, "I like the way that horse moves. I like his personality. I think we could do Endurance together." It is entirely another thing to say, "Oh my God! That is the horse of my dreams. I don't care if he lives another year or another 30 years. We are one."

I bought a long yearling many years ago because he spoke to me. He just looked at me and I knew. I didn't know about Endurance. I didn't care if he was going to live for 30 years. I just knew we were connected. He grew up to be an elegant and talented Endurance horse but he died at 14 from an intestinal rupture that I believe was caused by cancer. I wasn't shopping for an Endurance horse. I was looking for a soul mate.

If this horse truly speaks to you, buy him. No matter what time you have together, it will be worth it. But if you are just thinking about this, he might be the one... pass. Endurance is a tough sport. You buy a horse with compromised innards due to bad worming care in his early years and you sentence him to an early death. He can be a trail horse, an arena horse, a pasture ornament and live a long time. A mare can bear many foals if she is not the kind stressed by pregnancy. But Endurance? No.

If you are asking yourself, "But what if his early care didn't affect him?" Consider this. There are hundreds of thousands of horses out there that can do well in Endurance, horses not covered with a cloud. Why buy a horse that might die early with the stresses of our sport when a) it could have lived a long, happy life in a less stressful situation, and b) he's not your horse of all horses? He loses. You lose.