[RC] rate him - sherman

Title: Message
Most of CA must be far behind TX in knowledge of how to treat encysted strongyles as it's rare that a horse owner that I mention it to has already ever heard of it from their vets and are usually very skeptical when I talk to them about it.  Not to be argumentative, but I don't think I suggested disregarding your responsibility as an equine owner. I don't believe that taking a horse that may (or may not) have problems later in life is the same as disregarding your responsibility. I've seen many horses with exemplary past care colic, break bones, or be constantly lame with pasture injuries.Percentage wise, when you add that additional risk due to (possible) lack of parasite care to ALL the other health/accident risks, I wonder how much increase risk there really is. We'll probably never be able to figure that one out. Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one (:>) I'd still take a horse that I liked even with an unknown background and make the best of the time we had together (:>)

Kathy

Donna wrote:
Point taken.   But I have known about encysted strongyles for 20 years.  And that was in Texas, to disregard your responsibility as an equine owner cause you want "a horse you can not turn down" the big trot and tragic outcome " later in life" I feel ain't worth it.  Mustangs have been documented and observed eating plants and noxious weeds to keep worm levels "safe". Shatted legs, and the multiple ways horses are not always in our control, worms are.
Medically comprised horses can and do make champions, I know.  But journey is painful and the outcome is overwhelming.