Re: [RC] WAS not just mangers... NOW extending divider to floor - Sharon Levasseur

I'm not sure what you mean by the "step-over metal bar", but the last part of your email brought up an excellent question. I have a 2h slant load and the divider is the standard 18" or so from top to bottom. I wouldn't mind attaching a sheet of SOMETHING to the bottom of it, similar to the clear plastic sheet on the divider in a Brenderup. It wouldn't have to be clear OR flexible, just lightweight and safe. What material is best for this? What attachment method?
-Sharon L. in Maine

Quoting sherman <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

At some of the staging areas nearby they have put a folded stall mat over
the step-over metal bar that so many horses had trouble with...they are sort
of high for smaller horses, AND a narrow gateway too, so no wiggle room and
many horses that would  go over readily would still whack their back legs on
the rail. Would a securely attached, cut to size or folded rubber mat be
safer than just the bar in the trailer? The horse could still step over it,
but would be very unlikely to try to get under it and it wouldn't be so hard
if they did bump into it. I have thought about extending my divider with a
cut mat in my slant load, to discourage horses who think they might be able
to fit under it.

Back in the mid-70s I had a 2H straight load, step up, with front manger,
and yes, more than one horse jumped up into that manger, one or two stuck
their hoof or nose out the front green plastic window that they broke in the
process. None of them got hurt and all got down on their own though.

Kathy