From: sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] not just mangers...
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:28:18 -0700

At some of the staging areas nearby they have put a folded stall mat over the step-over metal bar that so many horses had trouble with...they are sort of high for smaller horses, AND a narrow gateway too, so no wiggle room and many horses that would  go over readily would still whack their back legs on the rail. Would a securely attached, cut to size or folded rubber mat be safer than just the bar in the trailer? The horse could still step over it, but would be very unlikely to try to get under it and it wouldn't be so hard if they did bump into it. I have thought about extending my divider with a cut mat in my slant load, to discourage horses who think they might be able to fit under it.

Back in the mid-70s I had a 2H straight load, step up, with front manger, and yes, more than one horse jumped up into that manger, one or two stuck their hoof or nose out the front green plastic window that they broke in the process. None of them got hurt and all got down on their own though.

Kathy

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it out.