[RC] Not Just Mangers - Terry Banister

               Most of them (including the Brenderup...I have a friend who has one) are designed in such a way that the horse is almost "invited" to walk through the trailer, which is why some horses get their heads under the chest bar, they aren't looking for food (which may not be there) but rather are looking for escape--they are trying to get into the open space that is in front of the chest bar.

Focussing on the open space in front of the chest bar is not the same thing as looking for "escape." And I don't understand the continued "worry" of a horse getting their head under the chest bar. The optical illusion that may be confusing to a horse that is used to seeing a solid wall in front, and looks beyond the bar and self loads with their head down, backs out immediately,and can be shown with a carrot held high where to focus. Once they have
loaded correctly and traveled in it, they get it. Also the "inviting openess" in front helps it feel less claustaphobic to many horses that normally paw and kick to be let out of other types of trailers.  I don't ever "worry" about the horse geetting its head under, or feet over the bar.

A short, bad ramp, especially one with wing-out doors above, is worse than no ramp. But a good, long non-slippery ramp is safer than a step-up/down. Shipping boots should be worn for the step-down type.

Terry
May the Horse be with You"

Rediscover Hotmail®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry Check it out.