[RC] Not just mangers... - Karen Everhart

The discussion about horses climbing up into mangers details just another in a long list of exciting opportunities which bless us when we choose to have horses, in my opinion.    We all have our own "story" which has led us to some "conclusions" which seem "absolute" due to our personal experiences.

Just recently we had a 16.3 hand horse, the most placid horse one would ever meet, decide (after less than 1 minute in the arena), that he did not want to be in the indoor arena alone.  He proceeded to try to climb over the 5' tall pipe gate of the arena.  The story is too long for this forum, but suffice to say that God was smiling down on us that day, because this horse was not injured, nor were any of the three handlers who had to get him out of his predicament, etc.  I believe the humans all lost 10 years off their lives, but the horse was no worse for the wear.

We could start another thread on what kind of gates we should or should not have.  Whether having gates is even a wise decision, etc.  That would eventually transition to fencing.  Some would say everyone needs pipe, others would want welded, and still others would want high tensile or smooth.  We might get the most consensus on RC, that the use of barbed is not generally wise, though there will be some who profess that barb is safe.

My point is that if horses can get into trouble, they will. It is a risk we take to invite these naive' flight animals, into our lives.

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082