[RC] different trailer issue - sherman

Title: Message
I recently got a horse that had not been trailered until my friend picked him up for me. He got in fine for that ride and then when I took him home, but was allowed to turn around to get out. I decided to teach him using the method below and after our first 1/2 hour lesson, he was backing out fine. The problem came about a week later, he would no longer just walk into the trailer, started the stepping in and out routine! It took lots of of time and patience and he finally stepped all the way in. He does still back out nicely, but will probably need a few more stepping right in lessons. It's funny what these horses will learn accidently.

Kathy

different trailer issue - Elizabeth Walker

I saw a video for one of the big-name trainers (can't remember which). In that one, he also used the "one step at a time" idea. The basic steps are:
- Teach the horse to go one step forward / and or back, as others have recommended.
- Have him step *one* foot in the trailer, then back out. Do this a bunch of times (the video said 25 times for each of these steps).
- Both front feet in the trailer, then back out.
- Three feet in, back out. This step is very important, as they still have one foot on the ground, so they feel secure, and get an idea of where the ground is.
- All four feet in, step back out: again, teaching them where the ground is behind them. The horse isn't supposed to go *into* the trailer, just barely put that 4th foot in.
- Now go all the way in, a bit at a time, backing out frequently.

I used a variation on this with Caisson for his new trailer. I say variation, as I had a ramp, but the principal is the same. It takes time, but it's worth it.