Re: [RC] Relative Newbie on LD and Endurance - Truman Prevatt

My typical is to start a horse using CTR (25 mile events mostly) and LD - progressing from LD to CTR since the CTR pace in FL is faster than the LD pace. The LD gets them used to being on the trail with a lot of other horses and the base camp and all the commotion. The CTR teaches them pacing - it teaches them what a 6.2 mph an hour pace is like and how to do one. After a good base - then on to longer endurance rides. However, I have often taken an 100 mile endurance horse and gone back to a CTR just because one was scheduled on a weekend I could make it. I remember in 1996 when a friend and I were out for the ROC - which we finished - she took her horse in an LD two weeks later. I think she won.

I see much to do about nothing over all this nonsense over difference.  In reality I find it no more difficult getting the logistics in hand for a 50 than a 25. If there are out checks then the logistics are more difficult but that's true independent of distance. Attention to detail comes with experience not necessarily distance of the ride. The real difference between horses doesn't happen at the 25 to 50 threshold or even the 50 to 75 threshold. It happens between 75 and 100 miles and the stats pretty much point to that.

As far as doing 25's on a horse and then having trouble moving up to longer rides. I find it is more of a matter of the number of times one has to leave camp than distance. If you have a 50 with all checks in camp - you leave camp 3 times that can sure get boring. If you have a 50 mile loop you leave and when you return you are done. Or if you have a 25 mile loop you only leave camp twice. I've found with the two horses we have ridden endurance over the past 20 years if the fewer number of times they leave camp the more forward, the more energy, etc.

When I finally get around to starting a new horse, it will be first some slow LD's followed by some CTR's - there is no better way to teach a horse to pace - the first year and then working up to 50 and then if I feel like it a 100 or two. However, with the trend in 100's that "all checks are in camp" I really have little interest in leaving camp 7 times. So I expect if I do a 100 in the future it will be the Big Horn or OD.

Truman

--
"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." H. L. Mencken