[RC] Relative Newbie on LD and Endurance - Carey Brock

I started this sport with failing to complete an LD in ’04. I did a full year of successful LD rides in 2006  while I learned the ropes. In 2007 to the present I moved to 50 mile rides and now I like the multi-day rides best of all. The jacket I received for 4th place in LDs in 2006 is a treasure. But I can assure you that I learned right quick that 50 miles is a whole different game from LD distances. And, multi-day rides really up the ante.  As an LDer in 2006 I felt bad that my LD miles didn’t count on Ffarza’s record. However, once I started 50s and multi-days and realized how much better both I and the horse had to be to complete as “fit to continue” I understood  and agree that LD miles are not the same as 50 endurance miles. In fact a really great LD horse, Ffarza, struggled with 50s even though he earned 1,000 endurance miles. I have learned that it takes a better horse, better fitting equipment, a better rider, and MUCH better attention to detail to get a horse through 50 miles. I haven’t even attempted 100. You can get by with an OK saddle fit on an LD and a little too much speed. However that same saddle fit and speed will result in a horse about ready to crash at mile 40 when you increase the distance. A horse that is a little too ampy or a little too competitive can always make it to the lunch stop on a 50 mile ride. However, the miles after lunch can become a gut wrenching worry if he has used himself too hard. I agree with others that LDs are a great place to start in this sport and they give people a safer place to learn the ropes. It sure helped me. I agree that LDs are the correct distance for some people and some horses and I like the fact that it has its own parallel award system to encourage people to continue. It recognizes those people and horses that are challenged by that distance. But, my LD miles are nothing like my endurance miles. I have a new real quiet endurance horse who can jump right into multi-days. Reyno doesn’t used himself over 50 miles as hard as Ffarza used himself in 25. But let me tell you, I pay attention to every blink of the eyelash during those miles. And, I’m having fun. That really is the bottom line. People should ride whatever distance they want as long as they and their horse are having fun. But the recognition for LDs and endurance should remain separate. Carey Brock