[RC] Knee pain - Bruce Weary DC

Hi Cheryl--
You have an interesting problem in your bilateral keen pain. The pes anserine bursa (trivia: "pes anserine" means "goose foot," referring to the appearance of the bursa resembling a goose's foot) is located below, in front and to the inside of the knee. It lies under the tendon attachments for the hamstring and adductor muscles. (Adductors are the muscles inside the thigh that keep you on the horse when he shies. :>)
I'm not sure how your problem started, but I would stay away from any further injections. Steroids can be very useful, but they have a downside, in that they can actually impair healing, or cause tissue destruction if used too much. Gentle stretching of the hamstrings, foot and hip joint manipulation, and possibly wearing orthotics may help. The knee is a great compensating joint, in that problems in the hip or foot are often compensated for in the knee. This often sends us doctors on a wild
goose (foot) chase, since the pain may be in the knee, but the origin of the problem lies somewhere else.
The trick in diagnosing joint pain is recognizing which pain sensitive tissue the pain is coming from. In your knees, you would have to rule out pain coming from the joint capsule, the medial collateral ligament, the various bursae, the patellar tendon, the coronary ligaments (which hold the cartilage in place and are the main source of pain in torn cartilage) the tendons of the various adductors and the hamstring and the periosteum (which is the pain sensitive covering of the bone).
I suppose an MRI might be done, of your knees, but unless you have significant known osteoarthritis, it probably wouldn't yield much useful information, if the pain is indeed coming from the bursa. I suspect your problem involves pain or dysfunction coming from more than one tissue.
I would try a really good chiro who is trained in lower extremity diagnosis and treatment. Not easy to find. Good luck. Bruce