RE: [RC] head injury--reassurance- helmet construction - heidi

I had two falls last year that I landed on my head.  First one, over the top
of the horses head when she stopped abruptly, without warning, not wanting to
go across and 12" water drain, landing on DIRT.  I was wearing an ASTM
certified helmet (Ariat), it CRACKED IN HALF!  I decided at that point I
needed to do a lot of homework on helmets and their construction.

Don't assume that just because the helmet broke that it was not
well-made or made of good materials.  I had a helmet shatter in a freak
fall as well--I came off of a turning saddle, lit on my chest, hands and
knees (kind of curled up), and the impact to my head came from my HORSE,
who reversed direction and tried to jump over me, but ended up clouting
me in the head with a hind foot.  My helmet was shattered from the
center of the top all the way down the back--shell, foam and all.  The
blow was serious enough that even so, I lost consciousness for
approximately a minute, and had short-term memory issues for close to
half an hour afterward.  (I did not go to the ER, but did call the ER
and let them know about the accident, and had my husband monitor me
through the night, in case my mental condition began to deteriorate, as
was suggested by the original poster.)

My point is that the materials of the helmet did exactly as they were
intended--they took the brunt of the blow and responded through their
own breakage instead of through breakage to my head!  Had I not been
wearing the helmet, this accident would most likely have resulted in
skull fracture, and probably fatality.

Heidi