[RC] Barefoot and Boots - Roger Rittenhouse

Not to start the barefoot wars again... this is a summary of how well my gang of
4 are doing

I am BF because I cannot get any shoer to come here. Even the shoer I used from
Cleveland TN, will not come anymore, he did not return my calls nor did he tell
me why he wont shoe for me.. so much for 'professional' shoers... and yes I paid
my bills. I could not find a good shoer around here, most are the GOB walking
horse type, crap work.

So I have to make BF/Booting work for me or I dont ride.

The trim methods I use are 'light' NO radical 'slasher' methods. I looked to
Jamie Jackson and Pete Ramsey for guidance along with my 30 plus year knowledge
about how a hoof should look and how to balance it. I do not really care for
Jamie Jackson.. too much 'natural mustang religion" But his book was worth the
price for the pictures.

I do not chop off the heels, I keep them low to frog level, and keep the toes
back. I roll the toes referred to as the mustang roll trim.. BUT my horses are
NOT mustangs on open land. I let them wear naturally and only adjust when I get
flares or wall ridges.
The 'pasture trim ' works fine if you roll the edges and a bit more roll on the
toe.
I only use a file and hoof knife. I bought a good hoof stand and file/knife at
the AFA Convention last month. The solid hoof stand is a must for  ME and the
horse. They all do well with it now.

All are going sound BF. I dont ride the older 2 hard or long and only trot on
forgiving trails.
I have boots that fit the old mare and the retired Omni. I boot the front if we
are going on the rocky roads.

The mule and the foxtrotter have tough hard hoofs. The mule is BF all the time
(3
yrs). Had frog issues - common with mules since they do not have lots of frog
ground contact due the dished mule foot. I have been working her heels down
over
time.

The foxtrotter is doing great BF. The longest ride was 18 miles over rocks and
crap in Big South Fork.

He does wear his toe length more then growth so I have to boot him some.

He did not go well - gait- in the BARES. Too heavy in the toe. He is a pacey
foxtrotter. I have him going well in a set of (4)  Renegades. It took one
adjustment of the cables to get them right, so far he is going great, stays in
gait as well as he does when BF. Easy on easy off.

I joined a BF list, but was told to leave when I said I wanted NONE of the
'religion' crap  - I only wanted facts science and evaluation of my trim jobs. I
read the list but dont post - way too over the top for me. If I had to do all
the
stuff and had all the problems  some of these BF riders do I would not have
horses.

The best place to find rational civil support and advice is on   www2.
HORSESHOES.  com

Mostly shoers - but some well versed trimmers and they will offer advice and
reviews of your work, with no trash talk.

I sometimes think the 'cult' tries to make this concept too complex. It take me
about 20 minutes  per horse every  week or 2 to balance and adjust as need. I
take almost no sole or frog. I trim frogs that have ratty sections that are
wearing off. I use a common hoof oil or dressing on the frogs to help keep them
thrush fee. I did have a problem with the mule this winter due to all the rain
and mud. There is an assortment of products that will work well to manage this
problem.

I would not have concerns about riding a  LD with my MFT BF on soft trails in
the SE.
Rock trails, I would just boot him. IF I was doing 50 milers I would go BF and
carry the boots then install as needed. ( I doubt he is a 50 miler so that is
not
an issue)

I posted my picture web site about my trim jobs from a few months ago.
://imageevent  com/    vmaxept   barefoot.

I hope this helps those with concerns to consider giving BF a try
Roger R 8263