[RC] head injury--reassurance- helmet construction - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

I am not sure if just going off of the ASTM rating is the only criteria that one should follow when taking precautions.?? Construction, materials, and testaments should be considered as well.?
?
I had two falls last year that I landed on my head.? First one, over the top of the horses head when she stopped abruptly, without warning, not wanting to go across and 12" water drain, landing on DIRT.? I was wearing an ASTM certified helmet (Ariat), it CRACKED IN HALF!? I decided at that point I needed to do a lot of homework on helmets and their construction.? ?
?
Second one, mare jumped one direction over a?creek?and then shifted to the opposite direction without warning.? Fell off backward and hit my head on a boulder.? Helmet took the brunt of the fall - not one mark on the helmet let alone a break - Tipperary Helmet.? Why did I choose the Tipperary?? After many conversations and dialogs with endurance riders.?? I also noticed one common thread in a LOT of pictures from endurance rides.? Seemed that many of the seasoned and veteran riders wore the Tipperary.?
?
Now I wish I could say my back and hip faired as well.? :(? It's been a long road back since August.? However, my head is fine.? For those that know me, yes, it could be argued that I had to have a brain to injure, in the first place.? LOL!
?
D'Arcy