Re: [RC] Barefoot question - Jen

The only issue I see is that there IS a difference between a pasture trim (what
most farriers do when not shoeing a normally shod horse) and a true barefoot
trim done by a qualified natural hoof trimmer.

In a pasture trim, they usually leave too much heel on (gives someplace to
safely attach shoe to).  They often don't roll properly, and don't usually work
to create a concavity.  No need to, that is what the shoe is for.

To transition to a proper full time barefoot situation can take a while
(depending on condition of feet).  The whole foot has to act as the cushion for
this style.  You (usually) have to lower the heel, and bring the foot to a
better angle.  Then you have to work on creating concavity, in the sole and
from toe to heel.  You also need the frog to develop as that is the main
cushion in the foot fall.  I can't fully explain it, just trust me... it's
different! *grin*

Now saying that; I competed last year (my first time) in a pasture trim, and we
did fine on the 25s.  No soreness at all.  She has never been shod - if I need
to shoe, I will use boots (they are actually cheaper in the long run; one time
expense, and I am learning to trim myself).  I also don't know what your
horse's feet are being trimmed like, so take this with a grain of salt.

I say give it a try.

Now, I hope I don't come accross one of those crazy barefoot people; I just
have done a lot of research, and find it the best FOR MY SITUATION!  I respect
if it doesn't work for yours.

Jen