[RC] 3 day 100's - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

e good at CTR.  It takes a special horse to ride nicely with a big mob of
riders, come i>>>>nto a check and pulse down, not to just below criteria,
but as low as possible...with no sponging except for natural water, along
with the rest of the detailed exam they go through.  I >>>still advise
newbies to start out in CTR rather than LD, since it teaches you so much
about >>>taking care of your horses.

My problem with this concept is that some of the best things I learned about
taking care of my horse would be illegal in CT. SPONGING the horse down at the
vet check is such a great pick me up... getting off and walking a while if my
legs are starting to cramp up...that was such an alien concept to me when I was
a trail rider. We used to switch horses with each other when we were all just
WALKING to give out butts a break and it honestly never crossed my mind that it
would be a great idea to hop off and walk a while!  Going my own pace...not
somebody else's is another thing endurance taught me. I spent years trying to
get my big fast walking App to stay with the group instead of walking off and
leaving them. Endurance taught me there were other horses out there that could
comfortably pace along with him and I should ride with them.  Use my own brain
now and then. Come up with new ways to make my horse more comfortable or to do
things better and try them out...not wonder if they're legal...  I think you
could make a pretty good argument that in many ways endurance is a good place
to start. I just prefer to start them in 50 mile endurance rides. I think
they're a little calmer atmosphere.

I don't know about the "detailed exam they go through" I could have sworn that
at the one I worked they were just doing pulses on trail and the vet check was
after they got back to camp.  They lined them up down the trail like a halter
class, everybody loosened their girth and pulled out a little piece of
cardboard to fan with . The pulse takers worked their way down the line taking
the pulse. I didn't see a good way to know which dropped fastest, the ones
checked last had more time to recover. If they happened to be stuck in that
line next to one that was showing body language of wanting to kick surely that
affected the pulse. I was feeling very claustrophobic doing the pulses because
this was a narrow jeep road and there was really nowhere to go if a lot of
kicking cut loose.  This was NATRC, others may be different.

Angie McGhee