Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.6543 3 day 100's - Chipnml

Here in the Midwest, we usually run CTR concurrently with endurance and LD.  When I started 20+ years ago, we didn't have LD, and it was very common to take a horse in CTR for a year or so.  Most novices started out doing CTR, then moved to endurance if they felt like it.  I learned that, while most CTR horses can do endurance, not all endurance horses are good at CTR.  It takes a special horse to ride nicely with a big mob of riders, come into a check and pulse down, not to just below criteria, but as low as possible...with no sponging except for natural water, along with the rest of the detailed exam they go through.  I still advise newbies to start out in CTR rather than LD, since it teaches you so much about taking care of your horses.

Chip