Re: [RC] 3 day 100's and CTR as training ground. - Sisu West Ranch

"...My problem with this concept is that some of the best things I learned about taking care of my horse would be illegal in CT. ..."

Like my good friend Chip, I am a real fan of CTR for green horses and green riders.

Of course, they do not teach either you or the horse everything that you learn in Endurance, but they do teach a bunch of stuff. My, and Chip's, comments relate to UMECRA rules (see www.UMECRA.com for them). UMECRA CTR are usually run faster than NATRC rides. The usual ride time for a 25 is 4 hours.

What do they teach?

1. The horse must be able, even at the start, to move at a controlled 7-8 mph pace.
2. The rider must be able to judge how fast he/she is going.
3. There is little danger that an overenthusiastic, green horse or rider will run the horse into metabolic danger.
4. The UMECRA judging is even more detailed than AERC BC judging. You really learn about potential problems under a controlled setting. For example, gait abnormalities are graded with up to 20 points before getting to Grade 1. This is judged circling. Pain is judged in each leg. Filling is judged. Back and shoulders are palpated for pain. Fatigue is judged. Manners. Pulse and respiration also accumulate points.

My bottom line is that it is a good distance competition and teaches riders and horses lots that they need to learn.

The only really bad habit I have seen CTR folk get into is not realizing that sometimes you have to really move out, even if your goal is a 4 hour 25. An example of one time I saw this was a ride in the UP of Michigan. The trail had extremely rocky (mine tailings) sections alternating with firm sandy dirt. I did a 7 hour 50 endurance by walking the rocky sections, and moving out on the good areas. Many CTR folk were either lame by trying to trot the rocks, or overtime by walking the rocks but not moving at 12-15 mph over the good sections.

This all relates to my personal campaign, which I know will never bear fruit, to encourage the AERC to add CTR to its distance riding stable. Distance riding that includes CTR, LD and Endurance has many advantages for the sanctioning organization (more money coming in), the horses (more knowledgeable riders, speed controlled beginner competition), and riders (more types of events to participate during a ride weekend).

Ed, who will get off of his soapbox now.

PS. Farrier just left. The snow should stop and I will be riding later this week!!

Ed & Wendy Hauser 2994 Mittower Road Victor, MT 59875

(406) 381-5527

ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us