Re: [RC] Rehydrating your horse's skin and coat - Dawn Carrie

I don't use any kind of hydrating stuff on my horses, and don't have problems with dandruff or scurfiness.?
?
Dawn

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM, k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxx> wrote:

K. Chaton said:

> The most likely reason why my horses don’t have any
>?dandruff or scurfing is because I’ve been keeping up with
>?spraying them regularly with aloe juice or rehydrating spray.
?
I do not now, nor have I ever had a problem with my horses having dandruff or scurfing in the armpit area, and what I use there (just as I do all over my horse's coat) is a rubber curry comb, my fingers, and a body brush, and a hose if there is one handy.
?
> The aloe vera juice is the least expensive option.?
?
I don't every put any topical things on my horse's coat (including shampoo) except if I need to treat a wound (and even then I am usually pretty minimalist).? So I would say that nothing at all is the least expensive option.? All it requires is the application of elbow grease.
?
In fact, it never even occurred to me that it was an issue at all, and I have found that if you groom your horse regularly, that it isn't.
?
If I have had a problem with girth galls or rubbing, then I have always figured that this is a problem with saddle fit and/or choice of girth, and no topical application is going to fix that
?
Do other people who don't use topical ointments for preventing this have a problem with it?? I just never have, but then I almost always use mohair string girths or if not that, then leather.
?
kat
Orange County, Calif.