[RC] Rehydrating your horse's skin and coat - k s swigart

K. Chaton said:

The most likely reason why my horses don’t have any
 dandruff or scurfing is because I’ve been keeping up with
 spraying them regularly with aloe juice or rehydrating spray.

I do not now, nor have I ever had a problem with my horses having dandruff or
scurfing in the armpit area, and what I use there (just as I do all over my
horse's coat) is a rubber curry comb, my fingers, and a body brush, and a hose
if there is one handy.

The aloe vera juice is the least expensive option.

I don't every put any topical things on my horse's coat (including shampoo)
except if I need to treat a wound (and even then I am usually pretty
minimalist).  So I would say that nothing at all is the least expensive
option.  All it requires is the application of elbow grease.

In fact, it never even occurred to me that it was an issue at all, and I have
found that if you groom your horse regularly, that it isn't.

If I have had a problem with girth galls or rubbing, then I have always figured
that this is a problem with saddle fit and/or choice of girth, and no topical
application is going to fix that

Do other people who don't use topical ointments for preventing this have a
problem with it?  I just never have, but then I almost always use mohair
string girths or if not that, then leather.

kat
Orange County, Calif.