Re: [RC] Ride Entry Fees - Truman Prevatt

The free market is a wonderful thing. It has a way of sorting things out. More rides - more options and more options the more competition and the more competition the more RM need to make their ride more attractive. In the SE we have seen a tremendous growth in the number of rides over the last several years. That gives us all more options and from what I have seen our rides are extremely professionally run. And some people do go to rides because of how they are run. Now a keg of beer and raw oysters is a real nice touch after the ride. A live band to celebrate the end of a three day ride is a real nice touch. A shrimp boil for dinner is a real nice touch. A fish fry the night before and a bar-b-q dinner the night after is a real nice touch. I could go on.... ;-) .

Riders have the ultimate control. If you don't like how a ride is run find another ride to support.

Truman

David LeBlanc wrote:
If the RM only has so much parking to go around, and then you show up on day
1 and leave, they can't easily replace those entries. From a business
standpoint, this makes sense - RM wants to maximize income, and many of
these things barely break even.

Now as the rider, if I could only take one horse, I just wouldn't go. Too
much chance of paying $300 or so for one ride. The parking limitations
become your problem because that's what caused the RM to make the deal they
did. If you don't like that deal (and I don't), then go to a different ride,
or bring a backup horse.

--

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H.L. Mencken