Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 5:09 PM
Subject: [RC] [RC] Strings attaching cover to saddle

Mike Lewis:
I have had problems the past two rides with my blankety-blank full-length saddle cover's stirrup leather flap detaching at the stirrup and making a nice lap ornament in the middle of a 12+ mile loop.

Has anyone found a good way to ensure that full-length seat cover stirrup flaps stay attached?

Er, learn to tie better knots? <grin>

Seriously, I had this happen to me at DVE for the first time and
couldn't figure out what was going on for a while - suddenly a
big lump under my butt... (euww).

To keep mine tied on - and it has stayed that way for many,
many rides, the incident at DVE notwithstanding - I use short
lengths of softer shoe laces - softer because they stay tied. I
tie a knot, then a bow, then tie the two loops of the bow into a
knot and pull as tight as you can.

They are a pain to get undone, which is always promising.

I don't think leather laces would stay as tight (and they tend to
get brittle and break when repeatedly treated with sweat and
grime).

And stiffer string that is slippery also tends to work loose on
it's own.

hths

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA