[RC] AERC, USEF, and the awards banquet - Michael Maul

I'm working my way through all the RC posts that are filling up my Inbox even in Digest form.

Here's another response:

"If you do not believe that the AERC is supporting the USEF and FEI, just look at the program for the AERC Awards dinner on Saturday evening:"

Bob,

I appreciate your view but consider this.

For years - the awards banquet has had awards for AHA arabians, mules, quarter horses, appaloosas, BLM mustangs, TWH and so on.

AERC has asked that the presentation be made by a registry or breed association representative and to make it clear that AERC is not responsible for the award.

It is given at the AERC awards banquet though because it's an AERC member getting recognition with an AERC horse for their performance together.

In a similar way, AERC members are being recognized by USEF for their performance in mostly AERC rides during the 2007 season. Vonita Bowers is making the presentation for USEF and also making it clear that these are not AERC awards but recognition of AERC members for their performance in endurance. One of these awards is the Maggy Price Endurance Excellence award.

The USEF has a General Meeting where they hand out lots of awards in all disciplines, but endurance riders are recognized at the AERC Convention because that is where they go – not to the USEF General Meeting.

You could argue that AERC-I could present these awards in their committee meetings at the convention. But I personally think we can recognize all aspects of our sport briefly in our general meeting. We present a non-AERC award for a breed where there are less than 20 competing in AERC.

In the past - we have recognized USEF Equestrians of the Year when they were AERC Members - Becky Hart,Earl Baxter (Canadian federation, not USEF) and Valerie Kanavy.

And this year - there is a special award for USEF Youth Equestrian Award and Youth Sportsman Kirsten Kimbler recognizing her efforts in AERC and AHA.

Mike