RE: [RC] Selenium testing in FL - Kim Huck

Thanks Susan.

Kim

From: Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM [mailto:suendavid@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:40 PM
To: 'Kim Huck'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Selenium testing in FL

>Is there anyone in FL familiar with a lab that does selenium testing?  Approximately how much does it cost?

>Thanks.

>Kim

The lab that we use, Idexx Laboratories, is (I’m pretty sure) nation-wide, so should be available in Florida, or it’s not difficult to ship a sample overnight.  Idexx charges the submitting veterinarian (and no, you can’t submit it yourself) about $56 to run a selenium assay.  About twice that, not including a farm call, is generally considered a fair mark-up for the vet, to cover the materials (and skills) to collect the sample, time to get it processed, facility costs and so on.  It takes 3-5 working days to get the results back after sample submission.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM