[RC] Ride managers, riders, and AERC - Michael Maul

In response to:"This seems to be a one way street here and not to the benefit of the riders. If a rider fails to pay, check bounces, etc., there is a very clear path with precedent where the AERC will sanction the rider for such non payment. On the other hand what you are saying is that even if the RM has stated in writing a given refund policy but does not live up to the contract then it's the rider's tough luck? The AERC is an organization of riders."

I'm not sure what you mean if a rider fails to pay - there is a clear route...

Other than once maintaining a short list of riders who have bounced a number of checks with different ride managers - AERC doesn't normally do anything concerning a rider - ride manager or vendor interaction like this. The only "clear path" I remember is that one rider was sanctioned for multiple bounced checks to a number of ride managers. And that only happened after a member of the BoD made it their personal agenda. So I don't really call that a "clear path".

What AERC does do is that if the ride manager doesn't pay the ride fees - the results don't get published. SERA had an example of this a few years ago. And the ride manager finds it difficult to get sanctioning in the future. In past history - we have had at least one very well known ride manager who had to pay the likely ride fees in advance to get sanctioning.

We don't have any requirements on how a ride manager handles refunds and other costs at a ride. I've had calls where vendors wanted AERC to suspend a rider for non-payment to them, vets for non-payment of treatment costs by riders, and not paying farrier bills at a ride to name a few.

I think past AERC BoDs have tried to keep things as simple as possible in requirements of ride managers. For example getting involved in whether the rider met the conditions for a refund is not something that I'd want to see AERC involved in even if there was a refund policy.

I'll say this personally that I think all ride managers should have a published refund policy in their flyer. I see a lot of flyers when I put them on the AERC ride calendar for managers
and of the last 5 - one had "NO SHOW: NO REFUND" and the other four had no refund policy.

I'm not even really sure what No show - No refund" means either. Does it mean if you call ahead and say you are not coming - it means you get a refund? Or you come to the ride and fail the vet in - then get a refund? I'm am sure that if you don't call and don't show - there's no refund.

I think it's worth considering. Ask Susan or Joe to bring it up at the convention. I do think given the individualistic group of people that we have running rides - more restrictions would be resisted even if well intentioned.

Mike