Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] different sports? They are if you decide that they are. Long - Steph Teeter

I'm trying to make a very pragmatic point: if some independent organization (perhaps with lawyers) were to go after Endurance riding in general, I don't think it would care about the soul of the organization as much as it would about the definition of the sport that the organization is formed to govern. More simplistically - I don't think AERC would be protected from scrutiny simply because it abolished it's International committee and said 'but we are different'. But hey, what do I know ? :)

Steph

On Feb 14, 2008, at 12:19 PM, Maryanne Gabbani wrote:

Steph, the realities of any organisation will include rules, leaders and sanctions. But that is not ALL an organisation is, those are simply the bones from which you build something. Just as the bones and skin of a person define the person as a human, the structure of an organisation will define it as an organisation. But the structure of an organisation does not define what KIND of organisation you have before you anymore than the bones and skin of a person will define what KIND of a person you have before you. Forgive me for getting all metaphysical on you all, but it is the soul of the organisation just as it is the soul of the person that determines what kind of organisation you have. And just as you can have a person with a cancer that is part of the structure, so you can have an organisation that has fatal flaws in its structure...and these fatal flaws will have a determining effect on the actual soul (please forgive me any hardline religion types but I'm using the term a bit metaphorically) of the organisation just as they will affect a person. The flaws can be overcome or they can overpower.

Don't confuse the structure of anything with its actual being and reality. I'm talking about the actual reality of a sport not the bones. Those are just technicalities and can be changed at whim. Look at what the FEI has done to the rules of endurance racing.

I'm not saying that anyone who follows the FEI is evil. Absolutely not. I know some very nice FEI people...in fact getting a chance to say hi to them is the high point of any international competition here as far as I'm concerned. The FEI as a structure is just a structure...with a couple of flaws in its design as far as I can see. And people can deal with the structure while keeping a firm eye on the flaws too. When you dance with the devil, you can have a great time, but you do have to watch where you put your feet. LOL

I'm saying stop getting so hung up on structures. That's not the reality. It's just a framework.

Maryanne