Re: [RC] [RC] different sports? They are if you decide that they are. Long - Steph Teeter

Maryanne - you speak so purely and from the heart. It's hard not to be moved.

But your example : "Any group of riding fools can get together on a Saturday morning for a weekly horse race followed by a pancake breakfast seasoned with laughs and boasting. Does that make them involved in the same sport as Thoroughbred racing, Arab racing or Quarterhorse racing? I don't think so. " does not address the realities of organized Endurance riding.

AERC/AERA/etc etc are not just a group of riding fools (well maybe we are, but that's another subject :) - AERC is a corporation with a board of directors and published rules for the conduct of the sport. The fact remains that AERC's rules are almost identical to FEI's rules when it comes to the sport.

Steph

and for the sake of accuracy, there are many cultural versions of FEI Endurance - Leonard's comment that FEI in Europe is different from FEI in UAE is true, just as FEI in United States is different from FEI in UAE. I think this should be factored into the discussion. In most of the rest of the world people ride their own horses in FEI rides, and in most of the rest of the world there are no large cash purses in FEI rides, and in most of the rest of the world people in FEI rides DO care where the horse is tomorrow.