Re: [RC] Washing Sheepskin - Laney Humphrey

A few years back, when I was spinning and weaving in my non-horsey time, it was agreed that Woolite had been reformulated & was no longer all that good for washing wool. I've always just used Dawn or whatever sink dish detergent I have handy. Detergents are acid, wool, being a protein likes acid therefore these detergents are fine for washing wool. The part of your sheepskin that may not like being washed is the skin. Unless is has been tanned in a way to be washable, getting it wet may turn it into a stiff, dry board. Check to see if there is any info about it's washability on it or check with the maker. You can rinse the sheepskin with vinegar (acid again) or with human hair conditioner which might add a nice smell to it. Just letting it air out in a breezy spot out of the sun might also get rid of quite a bit of the smell.
Hope this helps!
Laney

melanie.o@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Okay, so it finally warmed up enough to get the horses out this past weekend and I discovered that some critters (I suspect mice) have been nesting in my sheepskin saddle cover. It's not badly damaged, but man does it STINK!
Can someone please recommend the best way to wash this? I've got woolite, but will it be enough to get that horrible smell out?
Thanks,
melanie