[RC] Exciting weekend planned in Kentucky! - Donna Coss

In celebration for their 5th anniversary the American Shagya Arabian Verband Inc. will hold weekend of educational clinicS and seminars on March 14-16th, 2008. In conjunction with their National Membership meeting, the ASAV is committed to creating a positive environment for the general public to attend the event and see purebred Shagya Arabian horses, who’s ancestry dates back over 200 yearS to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This breed will be showcased during the event by Shagya breeders, exhibits and presentations. This event is free to all youth, juniors, pony club, and 4H organizations. Donations will be accepted to help defray the organizations costs.

The ASAV weekend will also have 15 different speakers teaching hands on clinics for riding, long lining, in-hand halter, Basic horse first aid and leg treatments. Patsy Cooksey former Thoroughbred jockey and now the Kentucky Racing Authority Public Relations director will speak with Jamie Haydon about the Kentucky Incentive Fund program for non-race breeds on Saturday at 12:30.

As our renowned international speaker and Shagya bloodline expert, Tamas Rombauer, past director of the Hungarian State Stud Babolna, and Vice President of the International Shagya Araber Gesellschaft (ISG society for purebred Shagya breeding) will speak about horse breeding in Hungary, Shagya Arabian Bloodlines, and how Shagya bloodline are used in Warmblood breeding. He is the leading expert in Shagya and Hungarian Warmblood bloodlines and part bred Shagya Sportlos. Also to his credit, he is an international purebred Arabian judge and has officiated at Arabian showS all over the world. He tenure at Babolna, the Hungarian State Stud, has lasted close to 20 years. He was responsible for the breeding of Purebred Arabian horses, Shagya Arabian horses, Anglo Arabian horses and Thoroughbreds at The Babolna State Stud in Hungary. Tamas Rombauer attandance for the ASAV weekend has be provided by the generous sponsorship from KEEP – The Kentucky Equine Educational Project..

>From the Arabian world, we will feature two National Champion Trainers and Instructors, Martha Murdock and Adrienne Hancock. They will both present clinics on Friday March 14th, 2008. Everyone is welcome to join the in on the fun, Starting at 5:30 pm with a pizza party get together. next a hands-on braiding clinic by Barbra Rea at 6pm. She is A long time quarter horse breeder and 4H leader. She is on the Board of the KYAQHA and a rep for KEEP. At 7 pm Adrienne Hancock will give a riding lesson clinic on The Fundamentals of Riding – Moving the horse forward. Followed by Martha Murdock who will give a long lining demonstration on working English pleasure horses.

Saturday Morning 9 am starts out with two Managers from KESMARC – Kentucky Equine Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Center located in Versailles, Kentucky. Sheleana Hoberg CHT, Manager originates from Australia, and is the past manager at Ashford Stud in Lexington. She will show participants how to perform basic equine first aid in a hands-on clinic and then talk about all the high tech therapies now available for horse rehabilitation. Elke Fahrenkrog DVM, Chile Asst. Manager, KESMARC, Veterinarian will give a hands on clinic on Leg Therapies and learning to wrap legs. At 11 am ASAV Breeders will give a presentation of Shagya horses and their bloodlines. Followed by a presentation from Tamas Rombauer and Carolyn Tucker.

The afternoon session will continue with Teresa Bossow (TCL Equine Massage) giving a demonstration on What Massage Therapy can do for your horse. Shule Greatwater, blacksmith, will follow up with Blacksmith basics and new comfort remedies for foundered horses. Both ladies originate from northern Kentucky.

At 3 pm Dr. Erin Tolar, DVM, new staff member at Equine Services Vet Clinic, will give a talk about your horse’s vision and how they see the world. She joined Equine Services to serve as their Ophthalmologic Veternarian. She will give a slide presentation and will be available for questions. Followed at 4pm, by her taking a group to tour of Equine Services Vet Clinic in Simpsonville. There Scott Bennett will show their newest venture a MRI that is the first in the country to be located on a rotating base. It allows images to be taken in all fields.

The ASAV National Membership meeting will begin at 4:30 and last about two hours. This membership meeting allows member, friends and shagya enthusiast the chance to get together and nominate district directors, vote on resolutions pending and have a open discussion about the Shagy Arabian horse in the USA after the general business meeting is complete.

The evening will start off at 6:30 with Frank Bakonyi, who is in charge of the California Hungarian Hussar Guard. Originally from Hungary and has lived in the USA for many years promoting shagya Arabian horse and presenting a ceremonial guard for national events, parades and drill team exhibitions.

At 7 pm, Carolyn Tucker will speak on her experiences with riding the Tevis Cup with her stallion Oman. Oman also was approved for breeding with the ISR Oldernburg Registry and completed the warmblood stallion testing in California. She is a longtime Shagya Arabian breeder and horsewoman who resides in Morgan Hills, California.

Dinner will be at 8pm with a Shagya Breeders Meet and Greet (RSVP required)
It will be a great way to meet more breeders and catch up with old friends.

After dinner shagya friends are welcome at the home of Darlene Steven, who’s farm the event will take place at. There Tamas Rombauer will lead a discussion on the status of the Hungarian State Stud Babolna. Due to the recent changes in the Hungarian Government leaders, the stud faces many changes and need support from the international and USA horse community. Anyone who has an interest is welcome.

Sunday Morning March 16th will start out at 9am with a hands-on clinic with Nicole Dutzi. She will demonstrate how to run the Sporthorse Triangle in-hand, then give examples of how to train your horse to be more competitive. Participants will be welcome to practice and work with their horse during the second half hour. Nicole is originally from Germany where the method of showing is prevalent in showing Arabian and Sporthorses. She now has her farm in Shelbyville, Kentucky, winner of the Silver Spurs Medal and breeds Arabian and Thoroughbred horses.

At 10 am, a demonstration on lounging and In-hand method training from the ground will be presented. This Hands on clinic will be presented by longtime riding instructor Darlene Steven, who is the past director of the Paramont Arabians Riding Club and early on Shagya Breeder.

All in hand clinics will be reserved and filled on a first come first serve basis. RSVP to the Stable office by calling 502-834-0139 before March 10th. Please leave a message and what clinics you wish to partake in. Someone will call you back with define arrival times. Stalls are $15 for day, and $25 overnight. ASAV members get first choice in stabling and clinics. Membership applications are available on the webpage www.shagyaregistry.com.

The Shagya breeder's weekend will continue with a presentation of shagya bloodline and breeders stock at 11 am. Horses will be presented in hand, under saddle, and driving. visitors are welcome to ask questions and there will be longtime owners and breeder there for a meet and greet Lunch at noon.

At 1pm Tamas Rombauer will give a presentation on Shagya Arabian Ancestry and long standing Shagya stallion lines. He will be assisted by Frank Bakonyi to help translate if there are questions. Tamas will show a picture presentation of horses in Europe and Hungary. He will also be available to discuss purebred Arabian horse, Hungarian warmblood and English Thoroughbred also bred at Babolna. He is currently on the Board of MALE, the Hungarian Arabian Horse association.

The day will conclude at 3pm. There will be a Shagya friends get together at the home of Darlene Steven. Everyone interest in open conversations in that status of the organizations for Shagya owners are welcome to attend. We will also have a discussion about finding new ways of promoting the breed. Please bring your ideas and thoughts.

RSVP can be made for hands on participants by phone or asav@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
It is not necessary for individuals but would be helpful if your planning a group of 3 or more to let us know for food prep at the above e-mail. Please include name of group, when you will be coming and how many will attend. You will need to register the day of the event. Please check the schedule located on the ASAV Webpage, www.shagyaregistry.com for updates, registrations and cost for stalls and members.

Contact info:
Darlene Steven
Buckcreek Farm
5750 Buckcreek Road
Finchville, Ky
502-834-0139 leave message

Or Daunna Sellers 859-485-4403 leave message

The Hotel that is recommended is the RAMADA INN 502-633-9933 $69 ask for Arabian club discount Shelbyville, Ky.

This is also the hotel where Carolyn Tucker will give her talk on Saturday evening!

SEE YOU IN KENTUCKY!