[RC] AERC, refunds, and ride managers - Michael Maul

In response to several posts that suggest contacting AERC about no refunds from a ride manager including "The way to deal with this issue is file a protest with the AERC."

If you mean a real protest to the P&G committee - then AERC does have to respond. I'm not sure what rule would have been violated as a basis for the protest.

But if you mean contacting AERC to apply pressure to the ride manager to refund the entry fee - that doesn't do anything other than make us aware that this ride manager may be a problem.

AERC treats the interaction between the rider and the ride manager or rider and vendor as separate from sanctioning the ride. I've received calls from vendors who were not paid by AERC members asking that the rider's membership be suspended until the vendor was paid.

I've received the most calls concerning refunds to the Great Santa Fe Ride of 2007 and had to say that AERC is not a part of the refund process.

The best way to protect yourself on refunds is to check whether there is a published refund policy in the entry or flyer. The 2007 GSFHR did not have a published refund policy. Apparently the 2008 GSFHR does have a published policy.

Other than not attending rides put on by this manager and letting your friends know about them - the next best thing is to let the sanctioning director for the ride know what happened.

This alerts them to the problem and if sanctioning is requested for the next year by the same manager - the sanctioning director can make a decision based on this.

Mike