Re: [RC] Riding strategy -- mare in heat at an endurance ride - Sandy Terp

I only have mares (6) at last count.  During their strongest heat cycles May/June and October for my area I use a product from Uckele  called Release and make sure you are on top of your electrolyte game.

Sandy Terp

----- Original Message ----
From: Beth Leggieri <trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:18:50 PM
Subject: [RC] Riding strategy -- mare in heat at an endurance ride

Would love to hear from folks who ride mares and their management and riding strategy to avoid metablic issues while at an endurance ride.

I know there are folks who prefer mares for several reasons.  They obviously have developed a protocol that keeps their mares out of trouble while at ride.

So, mare owners, what do you do that works when your mare is in heat on an endurance ride weekend?

Thanks, Beth in Texas