RE: [RC] Where is selenium high/low? - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

We know there are other failures in GI uptake when the system is starved of that substrate, thus many of the developments in parenteral nutrition under extreme conditions.

>Could you give an example of that please?

Extreme protein deficiency = loss of GI transport proteins = inability to absorb amino acids unless/until supplemented via IV routes.  I’d be happy to find you exact references and a discussion of it, but it will take me a little while to go find them.  I’m not quite sure where my undergrad nutrition texts even are anymore, which is where the original discussions were, if memory serves.

>These CA/Oregon horses that require massive doses are fascinating. I've had hays test for selenium below the detection limit but horses responded just fine >to 2 to 3 mg/day (NOT endurance).

It hasn’t been very much of a surprise to any of the equine vets I’ve talked to on both coasts, although as with Heidi, my practice was certainly not limited to endurance horses.  Much higher percentage of eventers, hunter/jumpers and dressage horses.  I didn’t do race track practice, but its pretty common practice on the tracks as well, according to colleagues that do track work.  You know what they say, “What works is real.”

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM