RE: [RC] Where is selenium high/low? - heidi

I have no scientific proof of this hypothesis, but I always believed (given

the known role of selenium as a cofactor in >enzyme functions in cell
membranes) that the selenium-deficient cells of the lining of the GI tract
were incapable of taking >up the very selenium that they needed, but once
they had some on board, they worked just fine at getting it out of the gut.
That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me. We know there are other
failures in GI uptake when the system is starved of that substrate, thus
many of the developments in parenteral nutrition under extreme conditions.

=========================

Could you give an example of that please?

Selenate is absorbed across cell gaps along a concentration gradient so
wouldn't require any active cellular uptake. Selenite needs to be complexed
to thiols to be absorbed, while organic forms are picked up by the cell
receptors for the specific amino acid.

These CA/Oregon horses that require massive doses are fascinating. I've had
hays test for selenium below the detection limit but horses responded just
fine to 2 to 3 mg/day (NOT endurance). I searched but couldn't find any
recommendations from Oregon State for 9 to 10 ppm in equine diets. Is there
an online link? Any idea if there may be high levels of one or more minerals
that could be blocking absorption?

Sorry, no links--this goes back to the pre-internet days, when we got stuff in
the mail through the university's extension service, and either called them or
wrote to them when we had questions.  :-)  No, there didn't seem to be anything
else significantly blocking selenium, and given that there was no problem once
the levels were up, that doesn't seem like a logical explanation.

Susan's similar experiences in a different part of the country would also make
me leery of the idea that we had some other mineral imbalance causing the
problem.

You may well have answered your own question, given that much Se is in the form
of selenites--I'll take your word for it that they must be bonded with thiols,
but that process may not be able to happen properly if the cells are highly
deficient.

As for having to do with membrane function, there was some great research done
on white blood cells in cattle (beef calves, if memory serves) that showed WBCs
with adequate selenium merrily phagocytizing bacteria, but deficient WBCs
working and working at it and never able to get their membranes to enclose
them.  Lots of good research on selenium and immune function in the cattle
industry, particularly pertaining to scours and pneumonia...

As I said, this is just my hypothesis...

Heidi