[RC] Where is selenium high/low? - Eleanor Kellon

I have no scientific proof of this hypothesis, but I always believed (given
the known role of selenium as a cofactor in >enzyme functions in cell membranes) that the selenium-deficient cells of the lining of the GI tract were incapable of taking >up the very selenium that they needed, but once they had some on board, they worked just fine at getting it out of the gut. That sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me. We know there are other failures in GI uptake when the system is starved of that substrate, thus many of the developments in parenteral nutrition under extreme conditions.

Could you give an example of that please?

Selenate is absorbed across cell gaps along a concentration gradient so wouldn't require any active cellular uptake. Selenite needs to be complexed to thiols to be absorbed, while organic forms are picked up by the cell receptors for the specific amino acid.

These CA/Oregon horses that require massive doses are fascinating. I've had hays test for selenium below the detection limit but horses responded just fine to 2 to 3 mg/day (NOT endurance). I searched but couldn't find any recommendations from Oregon State for 9 to 10 ppm in equine diets. Is there an online link? Any idea if there may be high levels of one or more minerals that could be blocking absorption?

Eleanor

Eleanor M. Kellon, V.M.D.
Equine Nutritional Solutions
58 Maple Farm Road